“Are detox plans safe and for everyone? “How often should I do a cleanse or detox? How long should I detox for? A
day? A week? What is the best detox or cleanse to do?” These are some of the most common questions about detoxing.
My personal experience, confirmed by numerous scientific studies is that the best way you can
support detoxification is by changing your diet. In short. Detox is for life, and not just for after
Christmas! When you take a long term view like this, it makes total sense to do a little everyday to
support natural detoxification processes, as opposed to expecting a short, intensive blast will do the
job. I recommend starting out by adding “liver-friendly” foods to your diet for at least a week,
sometimes longer, depending on your case. Liver friendly foods include all brassica family
vegetables, which include broccoli, cauliflower and cabbages. I’ll provide you with a full list at the
consultation. You may also need specific food supplements that enhance the detox process and make
sure that toxins are flushed out the body safely and effectively!
1. To prevent disease.
2. If you’re struggling with a health issue, especially something like a thyroid condition, a
digestive issue, autoimmune disease or any health problem, you must support your body’s
natural detoxification processes on a regular basis. Just so you know, the WHO says that 80%
of cancers are af ected by environmental toxicity.
3. To manage your weight.
4. To enhance brain clarity.
Points I will be discussing with you during your consultation:
● How to personalize your detoxification experience. Making it easy and practical.
● Answering your detox and cleansing questions:
● How often should I cleanse?
● How many days?
● How long? Whole days? Half days? Alternate days?
● What is the best detox or cleanse to do?
● Juicing, fasting or liver friendly food detox plan?
● Intermittent fasting? Is it for you?
● Food addiction affects our behavior and our biology causing (Do you have these or are you
worried you may do?):
● Insulin resistance
● Leptin (your body’s natural break of hunger) resistance
General and important detox tips:
● Upon waking: lemon + warm water to kick-start the gastric juices, digestive enzymes and to
alkalize your body pH (helps with bowel movements).
● Make sure you drink plenty of liquid (filter water, citrus essential oils, artichoke and onion
broths, medicinal mushrooms (as a powder or food supplement), “superfood” green juice. I’ve
many more options for you!
● Adding liver friendly foods.
● Removing all sugar products, and for a more intensive detox even honey, molasses, fruit, and
other natural sugars should be removed.
● After 10 days liver break, raw honey, molasses, xylitol and stevia could be used in
● Removing gluten (I will explain about processed gluten and the herbicide glyphosate)
● Removing grains (wheat, oats, rice, corn, barley, millet) except pseudo cereals (quinoa,
amaranth, buckwheat and teff)
● Removing dairy, except kefir
● Removing beans only for the first 10 days (packed of goodness, but they contain lectins (do
not mistake it with leptin “the youth hormone”) which can trigger inflammation and weight
gain, also they contain carbs which can cause spikes of sugar. Once sugar levels are in balance
beans could be reintroduced in small amounts 3 times a week. They are a rich source of B
vitamins and fibre, both of which are needed to support effective detoxification. (I will
discuss beans with you at the consultation.)
● Removing coffee. Replace it with green tea or matcha tea to avoid headaches. We’ll also be
discussing coffee going forward, as it is also a great antioxidant.
● Removing alcohol
● Removing hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oil and fried food, avoid margarine
● Avoiding food additives (sulphites, nitrites, MSG, aspartame, acesulfame K, sucralose…)
● Avoiding hormonal disruptors (Hormonal Ladies Day consultation coming soon))
● Removing or reducing media overload (phone, internet, T.V, social media…) I call this
● Adding food supplements with proven efficacy, like selected herbs and natural
supplements to support your liver and flush out toxins and hormonal by-products.
● The UltraDetox Bath (Epsom salts, I will tell you more about it during our consultation)
● Improving your overall coherence / centeredness by practicing meditation, breathing
techniques, heart rate variability/HeartMath, all of which are proven to leave us feeling more
positive and emotionally recharged
● Good sleep!! Super important! The best detoxifying and “anti-ageing” treatment you
Blog written by our Functional Nutritionist – Natalia Otero Sancho