Following the Cancer Awareness Week, as a functional cancer nutrition plan, our Nutritional Coach – Sujata Din, wrote a Vegetable Bean Stew recipe just for you.
You will need:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small piece, about 1 inch ginger
- 1 small piece, about ½ inch fresh turmeric or ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 4 tomatoes, diced finely
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 1 leek, sliced thinly
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 x 400 grams canned beans (or 3 cups boiled beans)
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Parsley leaves to garnish
In a large pot heat the oil and sauté the chopped onion, garlic, leek, ginger and turmeric for 2-3 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon. Add the cinnamon sticks, carrots and tomatoes and cover pot with lid, and let it cook for 4-5 minutes. Then add in the vegetable stock and beans, bring to a boil, then lower the heat and let it simmer, covered for 30 to 40 minutes. Season with sea salt and black pepper to taste. If it begins to dry out add in some more water, about ½ cup at a time.
Once cooked remove the cinnamon sticks from the pot. Spoon the stew into deep bowls, garnish with parsley and enjoy.
This recipe is perfect for the winter months