Nutritionist at CP Medical Clinic, Tautvile Sliazaite, gives us her top tips to stay healthy during the winter months
- Increase foods high in Vitamin C, like raw dark green leafy vegetables, lemon, kiwi fruit and berries (you can even use frozen ones). Vitamin C is one of the most powerful antioxidant which helps to support your immune system.
- Boast your Zinc levels, one of the most important mineral for healthy immune system, by eating oysters, lobster, seafood and pumpkin seeds.
- “Slice of garlic a day – keeps the virus away”. Start using raw (uncooked) sliced garlic on already cooked meals, sandwiches and salads. Worried about the breath – eat that in the evening.
- Spice it up – your meals should always have ginger, turmeric and black pepper – when combined together they have a great power to protect you from bacteria and viruses.
- Bone broth – it is the powerhouse of nutrients and a great way to have healthier soups in your diet. Use homemade bone broth, add some vegetables, protein source (sliced chicken, fish or seafood) and add rice noodles to make a balanced meal.
- Ceylon Cinnamon – endeavour in this incredible spice which has antibacterial and antiviral qualities. Start adding it to your porridge, yoghurt, fruit salad or cereals.
- Getting the first symptoms of cold – start drinking this Super charged tea, made of grated ginger, few slices of lemon, ½ of raw honey, ½ turmeric, ½ of coconut oil, ¼ tsp cayenne pepper – drink it at least every two hours at the beginning of your symptoms or as preventative remedy. If you have bone broth at home you can use that instead of hot water.
- Eat anti-inflammatory diet, get enough essential Omega-3, it is best found in oily fish as salmon, trout, herring, sardines, anchovies or vegan sources as flaxseeds, chia seeds or flaxseed oil.